I’m excited to be a candidate for San Diego City Council District 1. Why am I running? The answer is simple. I love San Diego. And I want to help keep it safe, clean and prosperous.
We need to fix our streets and sidewalks, protect our beaches, bays and parks, and most importantly, we need to create more good paying jobs in the high-tech and life science sectors if we want a future for our children and grandchildren. These jobs provide the tax base that makes San Diego the “smart” city that it is. And they are centered in District 1—the economic engine of our city. District 1 includes Carmel Valley, University City, La Jolla and UC San Diego— one of the world’s greatest research universities.
I’ve spent the last 30 years of my life helping to start companies and create jobs from my early days at CONNECT to becoming an entrepreneur and serving on the initial management team of companies like ProFlowers.com.
I’ve been an entrepreneur, a teacher, a journalist, a mom, a community volunteer, a wife, and recently a grandmother. All of these experiences have prepared me to serve you on the San Diego City Council, where I can bring my entrepreneurial mindset to tackling the challenges ahead of us. I have a lifetime of experience working with diverse groups to solve problems, and it is always my priority to bring people together in order to get things done. That’s what leadership is all about.
I am honored to have a diverse group of supporters. These are just a few, and we will be releasing more names over the next few months.
- Susan Davis, Congresswoman
- Toni Atkins, Speaker of the California Assembly
- Dr. Irwin Mark Jacobs, co-founder of Qualcomm, Inc. and Joan Jacobs, a community leader
- Nathan Fletcher, Former Assemblymember
- Magda Marquet, biotech entrepreneur and former Chair of BIOCOM
- Simon Wong, businessman and engineer
- Pam Slater Price, former San Diego County Supervisor
- Hershell Price, former director, San Diego County Water Authority
- Bob Nelson, San Diego Port Commissioner
- Dee Rich, former President of the Board, San Dieguito Union High School District
- Vincent Reardon, founder of People for a Clean UC
- Martha G. Dennis, La Jolla technology entrepreneur and community leader
- Elaine Hanson, Board Chair, Planned Parenthood of the Pacific Southwest
- View the full list of supporters here.
Map of District 1